Togliatti State University: history
Togliatti State University was established on May 29, 2001 by the Order of the Russian Federation government. The new university was established as a result of a merger of two higher education institutions: Togliatti Polytechnic Institute and Togliatti Branch of Samara State Pedagogical University.
The history of Togliatti Polytechnic Institute dates back to 1951 when “Zhigulevskaya” hydroelectric power plant was constructed. There was an urgent demand for highly qualified experts and a part-time study department of Kuibyshev Industrial Institute was opened in Stavropol (the name of the city up to 1964).
The institute issued diplomas to its first graduates in 1956. Starting from 1961, full-time study programs were launched.
In 1966 a new stage in the University’s history began. It was connected with the construction of Volzhsky Automotive Plant (AVTOVAZ). The branch of Kuibyshev Industrial Institute was reorganized into Togliatti Polytechnic Institute with Automotive Department, which provided engineering, design and research work for AVTOVAS.
Professor Aron N. Reznikov was the first Rector of the new Institute. He managed to accumulate well-qualified teaching and research staff and actually created a modern institution with high potential. More than 30 thousand qualified specialists were trained in Togliatti Polytechnic Institute. Its researches registered 1134 inventions in the variety of fields.
Professor Vladimir I. Stolbov became the Rector of Togliatti Polytechnic Institute in 1979. A unique system of multi-level training «School – Technical College – Institute» was developed at that time.
By the beginning of the 1990s the Institute had incorporated 5 faculties, 38 departments and the number of students reached 6.5 thousand.
Togliatti Branch of Samara State Pedagogical University was founded in 1988. Professor Ivan P. Plekhanov became its first Rector. It initially had 4 departments but the university grew rapidly and its structure had deeloped up to 32 departments by the end of the 1980s.
The first Mayor of Togliatti Sergey F. Zhilkin initiated the establishment of Togliatti State University. He was appointed its first Rector in 2001 and was reelected twice afterwards. The university got a vigorous impulse for development: new buildings were built, a swimming pool was opened, and modern learning technologies were introduced.
More than 67 thousand specialists have graduated from Togliatti State University for its history.
Today, Togliatti State University is the one largest universities in Samara Region, hosting over 12,000 students. Over the years the University has developed into a diverse establishment which is home to innovations in teaching and research.